Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Internship Beginnings

I have been interning at WISH-TV 8 in Indianapolis for two and a half weeks now and am soaking up everything I can.  I have been able to write a couple of stories for the 5:00 p.m. show, writing news stories for their website (http://www.wishtv.com/search/SERP?q=eli+whaley&t=web&s=wishtv.com&o=relevance&google_web=google), and have been following reporters like Jim Shella, Daniel Miller.  Also, I have been going out with photographers to do a couple of stand-ups for my end-of-the-year portfolio for the station.

So far, so good!  I'm loving everything about this internship.  Shockingly, everyone is extremely nice and always willing to help out with the interns.

There has a been a few adjustments during this process though.  For instance, I am used to using Final Cut Pro for editing and the station uses Avid.  It is essentially the same thing, but there are still certain commands you have to learn.  Also, the software they use for producers and writers to use is iNews.  It is very similar to EZNews, but more programs within the software.  In this program, you can search all of the breaking news from CNN and CBS, along with Indiana news.  You can also go into the program and see the rundown of every show since 1989.  Obviously, it's more of records and kind of an outline of the show, but it is still neat to look at what they covered.

Again, I am still learning and have been told by many that I will be learning 30 years from now if I stay in this business.  Everyone says this: Be multi-faceted, have several talents, being a student of the media, and most importantly (Dr. King will love this) everyone I talk to says writing is the key!

No comments:

Post a Comment